Calling all artists! Take part in the 167 Annual Open Exhibition
What is the Annual Open?
The Royal West of England Academy holds an Annual Open Exhibition, now in its 167th year. Anyone can enter their work for this mixed discipline show - previous years have included painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, film, sculpture and illustration, and attracted entries from artists across the UK and beyond.
A selection panel assesses every entry and last year 634 works by 413 artists made it into the final exhibition. All work is for sale, and the exhibition attracts art-lovers and art-buyers from far and wide. Submissions are welcome from unknown, emerging and established artists, including RWA Academicians.
Submissions for this year's 167 Annual Open Exhibition will be open from 2 July - 20 August 2019 via our Online Exhibition Submission System. Please note that the Annual Open has a two-stage selection process. Full Terms and Conditions are available to download at the bottom of the page.
This year's Selection Panel includes:
- Tim Marlow, art historian and Artistic Director of the RA
- Adelaide Damoah, painter and performance artist
- John Talbot, art collector
- Mark Hudson, award-winning art writer and critic for The Telegraph
- RWA Academicians Malcolm Ashman, Dallas Collins, Toni Davey, Stewart Geddes and Leslie Glenn Damhus.
This year's Invited Artists are:
- Adelaide Damoah
- Ryan Mosley
Awards and Prizes
This year's prizes include:
- The Academy Prize - £1000 eligible to all non-Academician artists - sponsored by RWA Academicians
- The Yvonne Crossley Prize - £800 to a work on paper - sponsored by Yvonne Crossley RWA
- The Watercolour Prizes - £250 1st Prize and £150 2nd Prize - sponsored by Consumer Intelligence
- The Floating Circle Prize - an interview and accompanying publicity in The Floating Circle and a £50 voucher for art materials - sponsored by Friends of the RWA
- The Digital Media Prize - £500 John Lewis voucher - sponsored by John Lewis
Further prizes to be announced soon.
Dates to Remember
- Monday 2 July, midday: Submissions open
- Tuesday 20 August, 5pm: Submissions closed
- Friday 30 August, 1pm: Pre-selection results live
- Monday 9 September, 10am - 5pm: Academician Hand-in Day
- Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 September 10am - 5pm: General Public Hand-in Day
- Friday 20 September, 1pm: Final results live
- Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 September, 10am - 4pm: Collection of unselected works
- Friday 27 September, 2 - 5pm: Varnishing Day Lunch
- Saturday 28 September, 3 - 6pm: Private View
- Sunday 29 September - Sunday 1 December: Exhibition open
- Friday 11 and Saturday 12 October, 10am - 4pm: Collection unselected works
- Friday 6 and Saturday 7 December, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works
- Thursday 19 and Friday 20 December, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works
- Friday 10 and Saturday 11 January 2020, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works