As an independent charity with very limited unrestricted reserves, we rely on ticket sales and commercial income for survival. While dealing with the immediate challenges of COVID - 19, we must continue with plans to transform the building as the RWA’s long-term financial survival depends on it.
Thanks to the National Lottery Heritage Fund and generous supporters, we are well on the way to raising the £3.8million investment needed to protect and improve our beautiful building and community activities so that we can continue to enrich lives, nurture talent and inspire creativity for all.
We are asking everyone who shares our passion for art, creativity and the RWA to please help us secure the final £500,000, with a firm pledge to show your support, which can be honoured this year or next.
What will the Light and Inspiration Appeal achieve?
- Make urgent repairs to save the RWA’s Grade II* listed galleries from catastrophic failure.
- Bring world-class art and exhibitions to Bristol, attracting 40% more visitors and community users to the RWA.
- Extend RWA’s celebrated community and wellbeing programmes so more vulnerable and isolated people can find enjoyment through art and creativity.
- Deliver a step-change in financial and environmental sustainability.
“Without this project there is a real risk the RWA would have to close its doors.” Alison Bevan, RWA Director
How will the £3.8 million project secure the future of the RWA?
- Replace the original sky-light windows above the main galleries with new thermally-insulated lanterns, enabling the world’s finest artworks to be seen in Bristol’s stunning, purpose-built gallery
- Mitigate extreme temperatures, from sweltering summer heat to icy cold, vastly improving the experience for visitors and volunteers
- Upgrade the building to improve energy efficiency and reduce costs, including a new air source heat pump and under floor heating throughout the galleries
- Sensitively remodel the façade, with new entrances and lighting to engage more visitors and create a truly welcoming environment
- Transform the forecourt into a vibrant outdoor creative, social events space
- Build a new, much larger lift on the side of the building, improving access for all of our visitors as well as enabling us to easily transport largescale artworks to the first floor
- Enlarge the cafe, retail and greeting spaces to be warm and inviting
- Introduce advanced technology for on-site marketing and e-commerce
- Invest in more community exhibitions and learning programmes, starting with exciting plans during the period when the galleries will be closed for repair.
“In our 175-year history, tens of thousands of people have exhibited their work here, from famous artists – ranging from Turner to Turner Prize Winners – to emerging artists and schoolchildren. The RWA’s Light and Inspiration Appeal will ensure future generations can see world-class artworks, be inspired and encouraged to explore their own creativity." Stewart Geddes, Past RWA President
To find out about supporting this appeal please click here.
To find out who has supported the appeal to date please click here
If you would like to pledge a future donation, please complete the Donation and Pledge Form below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org