167 Annual Open Exhibition: Artist Information
Please note: this page is for artists who have submitted work to the 167 Annual Open Exhibition. Click here if you are looking to find out more about the Annual Open Exhibition or book tickets.
Pre-selection results for the 167 Annual Open Exhibition are now available, please login via the Online Exhibition Submission System to view your results. Final Results will be available from 1pm on Friday 20 September.
If you have had work pre-selected you will need to deliver it to the RWA on:
Monday 9 September, 10am - 5pm (Academicians only)
Tuesday 10 September, 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 11 September, 10am - 5pm
A friend or relative may deliver on your behalf with your written permission.
If you cannot deliver your work in person, regional transport is available to book from London, Exeter and Penzance (times, dates and locations available to download at the bottom of this page). Please note that this year there is no transport to and from Birmingham. Transport is priced at £15 per work per journey. TRANSPORT BOOKINGS TO THE RWA HAVE NOW CLOSED.
How to deliver your works (whether in person or to a regional transport drop-off):
- All works must be labelled. Labels are available to download and print from OESS.
- The label should be printed on thin white card and securely attached to the work with a thin piece of string, preferably with staples or strong tape. The string should be long enough to hang in front of the work when wall or plinth-mounted.
- The artist's name, address and title of work should also be written clearly on the back of the work.
- The top of abstract works should be clearly marked on the back of the work.
- Works should arrive unwrapped. If you are delivering your work in person there will be space to unwrap your work on delivery. Packaging must then be removed from the RWA by the artist.
- Fragile work may remain wrapped in a way that does not obscure the image during selection.
Please note that the Annual Open has a two-stage selection process. Final Selection Results will be available at 1pm on Friday 20 September. Full Terms and Conditions are available to download at the bottom of the page.
What is the Annual Open?
The Royal West of England Academy holds an Annual Open Exhibition, now in its 167th year. Anyone can enter their work for this mixed discipline show - previous years have included painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, film, sculpture and illustration, and attracted entries from artists across the UK and beyond.
A selection panel assesses every entry and last year 634 works by 413 artists made it into the final exhibition. All work is for sale, and the exhibition attracts art-lovers and art-buyers from far and wide. Submissions are welcome from unknown, emerging and established artists, including RWA Academicians.
This year's Selection Panel includes:
- Tim Marlow, art historian and Artistic Director of the RA
- Adelaide Damoah, painter and performance artist
- John Talbot, art collector
- Mark Hudson, award-winning art writer and critic for The Telegraph
- RWA Academicians Malcolm Ashman, Dallas Collins, Toni Davey, Stewart Geddes and Leslie Glenn Damhus.
This year's Invited Artists are:
- Adelaide Damoah
- Ryan Mosley
Awards and Prizes
This year's prizes include:
- The Academy Prize - £1000 eligible to all non-Academician artists - sponsored by RWA Academicians
- The Yvonne Crossley Prize - £800 to a work on paper - sponsored by Yvonne Crossley RWA
- The Watercolour Prizes - £250 1st Prize and £150 2nd Prize - sponsored by Consumer Intelligence
- The Floating Circle Prize - an interview and accompanying publicity in The Floating Circle and a £50 voucher for art materials - sponsored by Friends of the RWA
- The Digital Media Prize - £500 John Lewis voucher - sponsored by John Lewis
- The Painting Prize - £250 - sponsored by Derek Balmer PPRWA
- The Evolver Cover and Feature Awards - sponsored by Evolver Magazine
- The ArTag Award
- The Creativity Prize - £500-worth of printing and framing, £250 cash - sponsored by Niche Frames
Further prizes to be announced soon.
Sign up as a Friend
Become a Friend and Receive 25% off the standard Submission Fee. You'll also receive complimentary invitations to all exhibition launch events, including the opening of the 167 Annual Open Exhibition. Click here to sign up as a Friend. For more details on submission fees please see our Exhibition Guidance document.
Dates to Remember
- Friday 30 August, 1pm: Pre-selection results live
- Monday 9 September, 10am - 5pm: Academician Hand-in Day
- Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 September 10am - 5pm: General Public Hand-in Day
- Friday 20 September, 1pm: Final results live
- Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 September, 10am - 4pm: Collection of unselected works
- Friday 27 September, 2 - 5pm: Varnishing Day Lunch
- Saturday 28 September, 3 - 6pm: Private View
- Sunday 29 September - Sunday 1 December: Exhibition open
- Friday 11 and Saturday 12 October, 10am - 4pm: Collection unselected works
- Friday 6 and Saturday 7 December, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works
- Thursday 19 and Friday 20 December, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works
- Friday 10 and Saturday 11 January 2020, 10am - 4pm: Collection all works